Ancient Future Times: Spectacular Summer Show in the Sierras, School Sale, Scene Seeks Support
Summer 2019 Issue:
Ancient Future in the Sierra Nevada September 1
•Music at the Mine in Sierra City for Your Labor Day Weekend Holiday!
Back to the Ancient Future Back to School Sale
•Recordings, Music Training Materials, Skype Studies, and Musical Scavenger Hunt
3 Ways to Contribute to the World Fusion Movement
•Make a Tax Deductible Contribution to Ancient Future, Make a Direct Donation, Support A.F.A.R.
Ancient Future in the Sierra Nevada September 1
Music at the Mine in Sierra City for Your Labor Day Weekend Holiday!Featuring Matthew Montfort (scalloped fretboard guitar), Doug McKeehan (keys), and Aditya Kalyanpur (tabla)
Pictured: Matthew Montfort (guitar), Aditya Kalyanpur (tabla), Doug McKeehan (keys).
Sunday, September 1, 3 PM
Music at the Mine
Kentucky Mine Amphitheater
100 Kentucky Mine Rd.
Sierra City, CA 96125
Tix: $22 adv., $25 door, $10 kids 7 to 17 years old. Kids 6 and under are FREE! Buy Tix.
Info: Call Chris Stockdale at 530-862-1076 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Ancient Future returns to perform at the Music at the Mine series at the Kentucky Mine Amphitheater for the first time since 2000. This outdoor amphitheater is in a stunningly spectacular setting nestled below the Sierra Buttes.
This uptempo program features world guitar pioneer Matthew Montfort, virtuoso keyboardist Doug McKeehan, and world famous Indian tabla phenomenon Aditya Kalyanpur, who is flying in from India for the event!
Montfort and McKeehan have played hundreds of concerts together with master musicians from many different traditions, and Montfort and Kalyanpur are known for their duet program that emanates strains of passionate flamenco and ethereal Indian raga and fires up crowds at outdoor festivals. This virtuoso trio's uptempo program is an exhilarating and improvisatory take on Ancient Future's broad repertoire.Featured MusiciansAditya Kalyanpur (Indian tabla)
Beginning his studies at the age of five under the vigilance of tabla maestro late Ustad Allarakha and tabla maestro Ustad Zakir Hussain, Aditya Kalyanpur is considered as one of the most promising torchbearers of the Punjab Gharana style of tabla performance. Aditya was first seen with his guru Ustad Zakir Hussain for the famous "Wah Taj!" television commercial at the age of 11. Having the honor of being recognized as an "A" Grade Artist of All India Radio, he has given public performances along with his guru. Since then he has lent the enchanting music of his tabla to numerous commercials. We hear his tabla ringing in the background of the film "Everybody Says I am Fine" where Zakir Hussain composed the background score. To quote the acknowledging words of tabla maestro Ustad Zakir Hussain for his young, talented disciple; "Even a young player like, say, Aditya Kalyanpur has the ability to approach the instrument with much more expertise than someone of his age would do 30 years ago." Honored with the title of 'Taal – Mani', Aditya Kalyanpur is the recipient of I.T.C's prestigious "Vidyasagar Award" as well as the "Sangeet Visharad." He has performed with many famous groups in a variety of genres, including the Rolling Stones.Doug McKeehan (keys)
Doug McKeehan started his piano studies at age five, and began his first professional work at the age of twelve. He studied music at the Oberlin Conservatory, Kent State University, and the University of Otago (New Zealand). He has toured Europe twice and spent considerable time in India studying with notable Indian music teachers such as Pandit Ram Narayan, Ustad Kursheed Khan and Pandit A.G. Bhattacharya. He has composed original music for stage and T.V. productions in San Francisco and Los Angeles and has been musical director of two original musical comedy productions. He cofounded Air Craft with violinist Bruce Bowers, which released a highly acclaimed progressive jazz album, So Near, So Far (Crafted Air CA 30100). Since joining Ancient Future in 1985, he has performed hundreds of concerts with the band.Matthew Montfort (band leader, scalloped fretboard guitar)
Matthew Montfort is the leader of the world fusion music ensemble Ancient Future. He is a pioneer of the scalloped fretboard guitar (an instrument combining qualities of the South Indian vina and the steel string guitar). Montfort spent three months in intensive study with vina master K.S. Subramanian in order to fully apply the South Indian gamaka (note-bending) techniques to the guitar. In 2009, he released his first solo guitar recording, Seven Serenades for Scalloped Fretboard Guitar, which debuted at #8 on Zone Music Reporter's Top 100 February 2009 World Radio Chart, and held the #34 spot on the Top 100 of 2009. He has performed concerts worldwide, including at the Festival Internacional de la Guitarra on the golden coast of Spain near Barcelona and the Mumbai Festival at the Gateway of India in Bombay. He has performed live on national radio and TV shows such as the Rachel Maddow Show on MSNBC. Montfort wrote the book Ancient Traditions - Future Possibilities: Rhythmic Training Through the Traditions of Africa, Bali, and India, which has been used by many musicians to improve their rhythm skills.
Back to the Ancient Future Back to School SaleRecordings, Music Training Materials, Skype Studies, and Musical Scavenger Hunt
Purchases at the Ancient-Future.Com World Music Store directly support the artists and the music, and our back to school sale offers bargain prices!Five for Fifty: Five Releases Just $10 Each
- Yearning for the Wind by Ancient Future. Signed Audio/Video E-CD-R. List $17.98. SALE $10. Buy 1 Now.
- Planet Passion by Ancient Future. Ancient-Future.Com Records AF-2010. List $17.98. SALE $10. Buy 1 Now.
- Sangria by Mariah Parker. Ancient-Future.Com Records AF-2017. List $17.98. SALE $10. Buy 1 Now.
- Seven Serenades for Scalloped Fretboard Guitar by Matthew Montfort. Ancient-Future.Com Records AF-2008. List $17.98. SALE $10. Buy 1 Now.
- Sympathetic Serenade by Matthew Montfort. Ancient-Future.Com Records AF-2012. Signed EP CD-R. List $12.98. SALE $10. Buy 1 Now.
The Ancient-Future.Com Record Store is the only place where all of the Ancient Future band recordings, including out of print major label recordings, are available on CD. The site also features releases on Ancient-Future.Com Records, the band's artist coalition label, and side projects by Ancient Future band members on other labels.Educational Materials Sale: Get More Enjoyment Out of MusicWorld Music Studies for Listeners and Musicians!
Want to get more out of listening to music? Study of music traditions isn't just for musicians. The more you know about music, the more you will get out of listening to it. For example, many listeners are attracted to the spiritual feeling of Indian classical music. But knowing the basics of tala (Indian rhythm cycles) will greatly enhance what one experiences while listening.
A great way to get started on a journey to become a better listener is to visit the education section of Ancient-Future.Com. Included are explanations of African, Arabic, Balinese, and Indian traditions along with some basic exercises to practice that require no instruments to perform. Your site surfing can even win prizes in this issue's Musical Scavenger Hunt! And as you learn more, you may wish to take a private Skype lesson to continue your studies.Beats Book Brings Bang for the Buck
Ancient Traditions – Future Possibilities: Rhythmic Training Through the Traditions of Africa, Bali and India by Matthew Montfort. Kentfield: Ancient Future Music, 1985. ISBN 0-937879-00-2.
- Comb Bound Book. $46.95 SALE $33.95. Buy 1 Now.
- Book and Enhanced Audio CD Set with MIDI Files. $74.95 SALE $53.95. Buy 1 Now.
- Book & Audio Guide/MIDI Download. New Best Buy! $69.95 SALE $49.95. Buy 1 Now.
- Companion MP3/MIDI Guide Tracks Download Set. New Release! $34.95 SALE 24.95. Buy 1 Now.
- Companion Audio/MIDI Guide Tracks 2 Volume CD/CD-ROM Set. $39.95 SALE $29.95. Buy 1 Now.
This classic "world beat bible" by Matthew Montfort takes the student on a musical voyage through the ancient rhythmic traditions of Africa, Bali, and India with a series of exercises that require no instruments to perform. Interesting, imaginative and fun, these rhythm exercises will be of immense help to all music lovers, not just percussionists.
The new downloadable companion set of MP3 audio guide and MIDI groove tracks of the exercises in the book Ancient Traditions – Future Possibilities is set up for playback on Mac and PC computers, tablets, and smartphones. The tracks are also available on a CD/CD-ROM set. The material is presented in two complimentary formats: audio guide tracks and MIDI groove tracks.Digital Liner Note Discounts
- Yearning for the Wind Digital Liner Notes. 7 page .pdf of liner notes for Yearning for the Wind by Ancient Future. Features detailed explanations of the musical concepts of raga and tala behind the music. $1.98 list. SALE $1.50. Buy 1 Now.
- Seven Serenades for Scalloped Fretboard Guitar Digital Liner Notes. 17 page .pdf of liner notes for Seven Serenades for Scalloped Fretboard Guitar by Matthew Montfort. Explains the inspirations and musical concepts behind each serenade. Sheet music is included for those who want to delve deeper. $2.98 list. SALE $2. Buy 1 Now.
- Sympathetic Serenade Digital Liner Notes. 9 page .pdf of liner notes for Sympathetic Serenade for Scalloped Fretboard Guitar by Matthew Montfort. Features explanations of musical concepts. $1.98 list. SALE $1.50. Buy 1 Now.
- Planet Passion Digital Liner Notes. 11 page .pdf of liner notes for Planet Passion by Ancient Future. Features comprehensive notes detailing a mythical story of love through the musical traditions of the world. $1.98 list. SALE $1.50. Buy 1 Now.
Study any of the musical traditions featured on the Ancient Future web site via private Skype lessons with Ancient Future bandleader and guitarist, Matthew Montfort. Recognized as one of the world's 100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists, Matthew Montfort teaches all styles of guitar (and other fretted instruments including ukulele, bass, mandolin, charango, and sitar) along with record production, composition, world rhythms, music theory, and repertoire for all instruments.Skype Lessons
- 60 Minute Lesson. $75. SALE $60. Buy 1 Now. Custom private one hour online lesson.
- 45 Minute Lesson. $65. SALE $48. Buy 1 Now. Custom private 45 minute online lesson.
- 30 Minute Lesson. $50. SALE $36. Buy 1 Now. Custom private 30 minute online lesson.
Gift certificates are available for online lessons worldwide via Skype. The lessons can also be conducted through other webcam chat and conferencing services. And for a limited time, an additional discount is automatically offered on a Skype tutorial with purchase of Matthew Montfort's book Ancient Traditions – Future Possibilities: Rhythmic Training Through the Traditions of Africa, Bali, and India at Ancient-Future.Com!Musical Scavenger Hunt
Start the school year with this scavenger hunt to win music education materials and learn about the ancient musical traditions of the world! Hunt through Ancient-Future.Com to answer the scavenger hunt questions. All of those who get any answer right win an educational digital liner note download of their choice! Get all of the answers right and also win your choice of the Audio Guide or MIDI Groove companion tracks to the world rhythms training manual, Ancient Traditions – Future Possibilities.3 Scavenger Hunt Questions
- Name six instruments utilized in an Eve percussion orchestra.
- What is the name of the more offbeat part of a Balinese kotèkan?
- What is the name of an 11 beat North Indian rhythmic cycle that includes two groupings of 1 1/2 beats?
This scavenger hunt contest is open only to subscribers to the Ancient Future Times. If you are not already receiving this newsletter, please subscribe before entering. Entries accepted through September 15, 2019. Send entries to email@example.com.
3 Ways to Contribute to the World Fusion Movement1. Make a Tax Deductible Contribution to Ancient Future
Your tax deductible contribution can help support Ancient Future's local Northern California concert season, provide seed money to bring Ancient Future to perform in your area, or support new compositions and recordings.
In this age of polarization, world fusion music is needed now more than ever. You can help by supporting it financially:
- Make a Tax Deductible Donation. Ancient Future was accepted for fiscal sponsorship with InterMusic SF, a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Organization, and now donations made through them on behalf of Ancient Future are 100% tax deductible to the full extent of the law!
- Make a Direct Donation (not tax deductible). This works well for those who are not part of the top 10% of U.S. taxpayers expected to benefit by itemizing deductions under the new Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.
The Archive of Future Ancient Recordings, Ancient Future's fan funded recording project, has over 86 minutes of music in it so far. Another set of studio tracks totaling 43 minutes are already in production. The new tracks will represent a 50% expansion of the project!
We have raised 21% of our funding goal so far. This is substantial, but averages just a little more than 2% per year, so we need to greatly speed up our fundraising to complete the project. Please consider becoming a supporter at one of the levels below, starting at just $15. And if you are already a supporter, you can still upgrade to higher quality downloads until each supporter level is sold out.
Once you become a supporter, you will receive all of the tracks in the archive (and all of the tracks that will be added in the future), and you will be eligible to buy a limited edition CD-R of the Best of A.F.A.R. So Far, which is includes all of the best tracks that will (barely) fit on a CD-R.
The Archive of Future Ancient Recordings by Ancient Future. (Ancient-Future.Com AF-2030)
- Recording Newsletter. $15 (receive 128 kbps downloads): Subscribe @ $15.
- Download Supporter. $25 (320 kbps downloads): Subscribe @ $25.
- Limited Edition CD Sponsor. $50 (all previous plus CD quality audio): Subscribe @ $50.
- Honorary A & R Representative. $75 (all previous plus video and 24 bit audio): Subscribe @ $75.
- Donor VIP. Make Additional Donation.
- A.F.A.R. So Far CD-R. $20 Additional. SALE $15. Buy CD-R Now.
Hundreds and hundreds of hours have already gone into the composition, rehearsal, pre-production, and recording the guitar tracks for this new piece by Matthew Montfort. Beyond Kalyan is based on Rag Kalyan, but takes it in new directions, even altering the basic recipe for the raga, hence the title. It is a very expansive, emotional, and difficult to perform piece. Mindia Devi spent several weeks practicing her bansuri flute parts, and then did a five hour recording session, nailing all of the composed parts. The next step will be to record her improvised solos. After that, it will be Vishal Nagar's turn to contribute tabla tracks.
Right now, we need to raise funds to pay musicians so that they can carve out time to practice their parts and record them. To complete the project, it would really help to have funds coming in more quickly. Please sign up to support the project!
World's Longest Running Band Dedicated to the Creation of World Fusion Music
"Ancient Future offers evocative world music imbued with graceful simplicity."–Bob Tarte,THE BEAT
BILLBOARD calls the group"trendsetters"for contributing to the emerging movement known asworld fusion music, a term Ancient Future leader Matthew Montfort coined at the band’s ... more
fusion, traditional, african, micronesian, world fusion music, north indian, south indian, samba, jazz, celtic, andean, vietnamese, balinese gamelan, arabic, rock, european classical, caribbean, reggae
- 80,000+ Global Followers
- 4,712 Artists
- 897 Industry Professionals