Ancient Future Times: Concerts, Contributions, and Contest with 13 Ways to Win
July 2018 Friday the 13th Issue:
Ancient Future Performs at Throckmorton Theatre 7/28
•Featuring Matthew Montfort (Guitar), Georges Lammam (Violin), Antoine Lammam (Percussion), and Doug McKeehan (Keys)
Contribute to the World Fusion Music Movement
•Ancient Future Now Accepts Tax Deductible Contributions Through InterMusic SF!
Summer Tour Stops
•Performances in California and Nevada
Musical Scavenger Hunt Contest
•13 Ways to Win
'El Zaffa' YouTube Video URL: https://youtu.be/mHle2ipjQsU
Featuring Matthew Montfort (Guitars), Georges Lammam (Violin), Antoine Lammam (Percussion), and Doug McKeehan (Keys)
This program blends the rhythms and melodies of the Arabian Peninsula with contemporary jazz and rock, producing an irresistible and exhilarating fusion that captures the essence of pilgrimage, cultural exchange, exploration and migration.
Ancient Future's performance features world guitar pioneer Matthew Montfort, Arabic violin virtuoso Georges Lammam, Arabic percussion master Antoine Lammam, and keyboardist extraordinaire Doug McKeehan. These multifaceted artists create an innovative musical experience that guides listeners on a hypnotic voyage through time and place.
Saturday, July 28, 8 PM
142 Throckmorton Avenue
Mill Valley, CA 94941
Doors open at 7:30 PM
Adm: $20 adv, $25 at door, $35 reserved seating
Listen on Spotify
Poster to Share or Print and Post
Concert Poster (259k pdf)
Ancient Future will also perform this program at the Lick Observatory on Mount Hamilton on August 4. That show sold out immediately with tickets that ranged in price from $45 to $199, so advanced tickets are highly recommended for the July 28 show at the Throckmorton Theatre.
"Woe, is for all of you who missed the Ancient Future event sponsored by Rhythm & Bliss. The group Ancient Future is made up of Musical Masters in their genres. The band consists of 24 musicians that come together in different configurations and create fused music. This configuration was an Arabic/Rock fusion. I have no words to describe what it is to hear live musical virtuosos. After hearing and dancing to this quality of music nothing else stirs my soul the same way. It was truly a grand evening. I was so very glad to have been there." – Mary Wheeler, The Harrakat, Eugene, Oregon
As the Ancient Future Times reported in its April 2018 issue, Ancient Future has been accepted for fiscal sponsorship with InterMusic SF, and we are happy to report that we have now received more than one tax deductible contribution!
Your tax deductible contribution can help support Ancient Future's local Northern California concert season, provide seed money to bring Ancient Future to perform in your area, or support new compositions and recordings.
With income from recordings now instead going mostly to tech companies, and grant supported and city sponsored concerts of original music becoming an endangered species, we really need your help to continue our efforts. The world needs world fusion music, but it must be supported financially. Could you do your job without pay? How would you pay your bills? This is what the world fusion music movement faces: dramatically rising costs of living in the midst of major reductions in financial support for music.
Performances in California and Nevada
- Saturday, July 21, 8 PM, Mariah Parker's Indo Latin Jazz Ensemble, Occidental Center for the Arts, 3850 Doris Murphy Ct. (Bohemian Hwy. at Graton Rd.), Occidental CA 95465. Tix: $22 in advance, $26 at door. Info: 707-874-9392 or email email@example.com.
- SOLD OUT: Sunday, August 4, 8:30 PM, Ancient Future Arabic Dance Ensemble, Benefit Concert for UCO Lick Observatory, Main Building Hall, Mount Hamilton, CA 95140. Adm: $45 general seating, $90 preferred, $199 VIP.
- Sunday, August , 5 PM to 9 PM, Hindustani Guitar and Violin Concert featuring Matthew Montfort (scalloped fretboard guitar), Sharat Chandra Srivastava (violin), and Rajvinder Singh (tabla), Private Location, Oakland, CA, 94607. Adm: $20. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive an invitation and make reservations.
- Saturday, August 18, 8 PM, Mariah Parker's Indo Latin Jazz Ensemble, Throckmorton Theatre, 142 Throckmorton Avenue, Mill Valley, CA 94941. Doors open at 7:30 PM. Adm: $20 adv, $25 at door, $35 reserved seating. Tix: tickets.throckmortontheatre.org. Info: 415-383-9600.
- Saturday, September 8, 2 PM, Ancient Future Indo Arabic Trio featuring Matthew Montfort, Georges Lammam, and Vishal Nagar, Winchester Cultural Center, 3130 S. McLeod Dr., Las Vegas NV 89121. Adm: $12 advance, $15 day of show. Purchase Tix. Info: Call (702) 455-7340. Facebook.
13 Ways to Win
Participate in this educational scavenger hunt to win music education materials and learn about the ancient musical traditions of the world! Hunt through Ancient-Future.Com to answer the scavenger hunt questions. All of those who get any answer right win an educational digital liner note download! Get all of the answers right and also win your choice of the Audio Guide or MIDI Groove companion tracks to the world rhythms training manual, Ancient Traditions – Future Possibilities.
Ancient Traditions – Future Possibilities: Rhythmic Training Through the Traditions of Africa, Bali and India. By Matthew Montfort. Kentfield: Ancient Future Music, 1985. ISBN 0-937879-00-2. Comb Bound Book- $46.95 (SALE $33.95): Buy 1 Now. New Best Buy! Book & Audio Guide/MIDI Download- $69.95 (SALE $49.95): Buy 1 Now.
Not just for percussionists, this classic "world beat bible" takes the student on a musical voyage through the ancient rhythmic traditions of Africa, Bali, and India with a series of interesting, imaginative and fun exercises for all music lovers that require no instruments to perform.
13 Scavenger Hunt Questions
- What rhythm was used as the basis for the fast section of the title track from the Ancient Future album Quiet Fire?
- Name six instruments utilized in an Eve percussion orchestra.
- What is the name of the more offbeat part of a Balinese kotèkan?
- What rhythm was used as the basis for the composition "Gamarock" from the Ancient Future album Dreamchaser?
- What is the name of an 11 beat North Indian rhythmic cycle that includes two groupings of 1 1/2 beats?
- What is the name of a common South Indian 8 beat rhythmic cycle?
- What is the name of the Egyptian wedding procession rhythm that is the basis for a popular Ancient Future track?
- What moods are associated with Rag Alhaiya Bilawal?
- What is the name of the second, higher part of a North Indian melodic composition?
- How many sympathetic strings does a North Indian sitar typically have?
- What are the three main schools of scalloped fretboard guitar?
- What instrument was traditionally made from the shell of an armadillo?
- Name two subjects available for study through private online lessons via Skype and other services through Ancient-Future.Com.
This scavenger hunt contest is open only to subscribers to the Ancient Future Times. If you are not already receiving this newsletter, please subscribe before entering. Entries accepted through August 13, 2018. Send entries to email@example.com.
Scavenger Hunt PrizesAudio Guide Tracks
Ancient Traditions – Future Possibilities: MP3 Audio Guide Tracks. By Matthew Montfort. Ancient Future Music (2005). New Release! Companion MP3 Audio Guide Tracks Download- $24.95 (SALE 17.95): Buy 1 Now.
A set of 115 audio guide tracks of the exercises in Ancient Traditions – Future Possibilities that enable learning by ear.
MIDI Groove Tracks
Ancient Rhythms – Future Grooves: MIDI Percussion Groove Tracks from the Traditions of Africa, Bali, and India. Version 4.0. By Matthew Montfort. Ancient Future Music (1997. V. 4.0 2017). New Release! MIDI File Download- $24.95 (SALE 17.95): Buy 1 Now.
A complete set of 128 MIDI tracks that playback in Standard MIDI File compatible web browsers. For greater control or for use as rhythm tracks in audio productions, load them into a MIDI sequencer app (Mac, PC, iOS, Android, etc.) to loop tracks, change the tempo, or listen to individual parts. The files come arranged for General MIDI percussion and can be remapped to other instruments using the included MIDI maps.
Digital Liner Notes
Educational Digital Liner Notes. 17 page .pdf of liner notes for Seven Serenades for Scalloped Fretboard Guitar by Matthew Montfort. Explains the inspirations and musical concepts behind each serenade. Sheet music is included for those who want to delve deeper. $2.98 (SALE $2): Buy 1 Now.
Educational Digital Liner Notes. This download is a seven page .pdf of liner notes for Yearning for the Wind by Ancient Future. These entertaining and educational liner notes feature cover art, musicians biographies, and detailed explanations of the musical concepts of raga and tala behind the music. $1.98 (SALE $1.50): Buy 1 Now.
World's Longest Running Band Dedicated to the Creation of World Fusion Music "Ancient Future offers evocative world music imbued with graceful simplicity." – Bob Tarte, THE BEAT BILLBOARD calls the group "trendsetters" for contributing to the emerging movement known as world fusion music, a term Ancient Future leader Matthew Montfort coined at the... more
fusion, traditional, african, micronesian, world fusion music, north indian, south indian, samba, jazz, celtic, andean, vietnamese, balinese gamelan, arabic, rock, european classical, caribbean, reggae
- 80,000+ Global Followers
- 4,497 Artists
- 884 Industry Professionals