Scott and Johanna are a duo who perform early traditional Scandinavian/Celtic ballads and tales.
Their wanderings have led them from Finland and Iowa respectively - through Europe, Scandinavia, India, and the U.S. On the way they have picked up tales and songs that they perform together with the stories behind them, in particular exploring the links between Scandinavian, Celtic, North American and other story singing traditions.
Their performances have been described as magical, inspiring, haunting, mesmerizing ...
"... the Hongell-Darsees summon ancient characters from the depths of our collective unconscious and bid you take leave of the modern world and join your ancestors, huddled together in a hut around a fire as the storyteller makes the hair on your arms stand straight up." (Mel Minter, Musically Speaking, Albuquerque, NM)
Their CDs have been nominated for 2 New Mexico Music Awards and their songs can also be found on numerous traditional music compilations.
After relocating to New Mexico from Scandinavia in 2001, Scott and Johanna have performed all over the U.S. at festivals, theatres, arts councils, universities, schools, libraries, and live broadcasts including:
- Provincetown Playhouse and Scandinavia House, NYC
- Outpost Performance Space with AMP Concerts, Albuquerque, NM
- Midsummers Fairytale Celtic Ren Fair, CA
- Folk Festivals: Traditional Music Society, Los Angeles, CA; and Albuquerque, NM, Santa Fe Folk Art Market
- Scandinavian Festivals: Estes Park, CO; Atlanta, GA; Los Angeles, CA; Thousand Oaks, CA; and Lindsborg, KS
- Storytelling Festivals: Los Angeles, CA; Four Corners, NM; Taos, NM; and Albuquerque, NM
- Universities: NYU; UNM, ENMU, San Juan College and College of Santa Fe, NM; UA; Coe College, IA
- NPR Affiliates, KUNM, KSFR, WFHB
- TV 2KASA Morning Show
- New Mexico Humanities Council – Inducted as scholars in 2005
Johanna (vocals, woodwinds, stringed instruments, research, translation, arrangements) was born in Finland. Apart from music she has a background in theater and dance. She studied theater in France and Bharata Natyam dance in India. She has worked as a performing artist for over 30 years in Scandinavia, Europe, India and USA.
Scott (stringed instruments, arrangements) is a guitarist and creates original musical arrangements and compositions for our performances of medieval ballads. Before that he worked as a medical consultant for ballet companies in USA and Europe.
Scott and Johanna are a duo who perform early traditional Scandinavian/Celtic ballads and tales. Their wanderings have led them from Finland and Iowa respectively - through Europe, Scandinavia, India, and the U.S. On the way they have picked up tales and songs that they perform together with the stories behind them, in particular exploring the links between Scandinavian, Celtic, North Ameri... more
- 80,000+ Global Followers
- 4,577 Artists
- 887 Industry Professionals